Wednesday, April 30, 2008

My job and the people I meet...

If you didn't know, I'm a convention planner.

I'm the one running around with a clipboard or notebook in the back of your meeting room or convention center making sure everything is running smoothly. Some day I'll post a list of my best attendee interactions, but until then, here's one for you.

My friend Eric, also a convention planner, is on site in Florida at a meeting. Here's the interaction he had just this morning (and of course was very generous to share with his friends and colleagues)


I'm sitting here at the registration desk, on the second floor for the hotel, minding my own business.

A woman, very pretty, very blonde approaches and asks my help.

I tell her I'm not with the hotel, but could try to help her.

She can't find her room.

"It's on the first floor" she says. I tell her it's impossible that there are no guest rooms on the first floor of the Tampa Marriott. She asks me "why they would assign her room 1019 (number altered to protect the innocent) if there are no rooms on the first floor?"

I reply because it's on the 10 floor, not the 1 floor. And direct her to the elevators right over their (pointing).

She thanks, me

She laughs and says it's true what they say about blondes and takes the escalator DOWN to go to the elevators.

2 comments:

Stephen R. said...

That woman is obviously blonde AND one of the Bush twins. Seriously. The escalator DOWN!?!?! :)

Anonymous said...

I'm too sarcastic for that. It always freaks me out when people ask me for directions. It's like handing me a water balloon. I would have sent her somewhere fun.

I go to many conferences with my job. I just got another one in Boca in July today. I can see how that would be a fun job. I think our firm has it's own planning people.